Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Posh with a Purpose

So my current obsession is buying this that are not only pretty but contribute to a greater cause. I am not a particularly "green" person in the traditional sense. I know some may judge me for only recycling on occasion (Please spare me the condemning comments. The company we are with charges extra for recycling.) Frankly, whenever I drive out to the recycle plant, which I have been known to do on occasion, it's a huge hassle. I've decided to be "green" in other ways.
My mother instilled in me a love for thrift store shopping and Oprah has taught me to shop my closet. I think is very green, I still have clothes from 7th grade. If you buy quality it will last forever. My sister in law and I share magazines, and I occasionally walk to the local farmer's market, and the bank. All this to say that although I may not be "supper green" I am trying to be responsible with my resources.
Which brings me to my new obsession, beautiful, fashionable pieces with a purpose. I have been blessed to have some friends with very big hearts and would like to share a little about the items they make.
First:
  • http://laballews.blogspot.com/
  • http://www.sasabluedesign.etsy.com
  • La, is my best friend from childhood. She is an amazing woman of God as well as a talented artist. She creates beautiful headbands, pins, hair clips, baby accessories, ect...She has used her talent to raise money for a variety of causes. Currently a portion of her proceeds go to assist a friend who is adopting a precious baby from Ethiopia. Not only do I believe in her cause, but she genuinely makes a beautiful product. Whether I am getting dressed up for a special occasion or need something to spruce up my unwashed hair her headbands are a key part of both mine and my daughters wardrobe.

Second:
http://thetravelingrikki.blogspot.com
Rikki & Ali are some other very special friends of mine. They are currently working in India with a new company called, JOYN. They employ battered women, people with leprosy, and others who would otherwise be unable to find a job. The have not only provided a job, but also preserved an dying artistry. I cannot wait to purchase they're products.

Third:
I don't have a personal relationship with this company, but I love their shoes. They are comfy, beautiful, go with everything, and people stop me on a regular basis to ask me about them. I love that not only did I buy a great pair of shoes, but I also helped send a woman to college.

It's nice to know that by making even a small purchase I can help make the world a better place. I hope that you enjoy these treasures as much as I have.

Love, Em


1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted! I kept forgetting the website for those sandals. I'm going to ask for them for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete