Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ode to KCCS

Warning, this is going to be cheesy...
Today I went back to my old high school. It's sounds funny, but it felt like going home. When I walked through the front doors it still smelled exactly how I remembered it all those years ago. I know it may seem weird that I am attached to my former high school, but the truth is I had a very unique experience. I went to the same school k-12th and I loved most of it! (I know that makes me a weirdo, I even loved jr. high.) Although so many things have changed, so many things have stayed the same.
When I explain my friend group to people, I always say I grew up in a small town in a big city. Not only did I go to the same school k-12, but a large number of my friends did as well. Several of us married our high school sweethearts, and to this day we still hangout (I don't like change, can you tell?) But I don't think that it's the fact that we spent so much time together that keeps us so close. I think Jesus is what really bonded us all together.
I know that it was a huge financial sacrifice for many of our parents to send us to private school, but I will be forever thankful that they did. Today 3 of my dearest friends and I took our babies up to visit Janell (another dear friend) who also graduated with us and is now a teacher at kccs. We sat on the floor in the same classroom that Suzy and I attended 1st grade and that Laurisa(my bff) shadowed me in all those years ago. Who would have thought we would all be back there together 19 years later? Yet, here we are still friends, now raising a second generation of friends.
When I think about our childhood we have A LOT of fun memories together, but the truth is the memories that mean the most are when each of these girls at one time or another prayed for me when I was hurting. Yes, we grew up together & that makes us close, but more importantly we found Jesus together. I feel so blessed that so much of our education was about God & His love for us. Yes, we had bible classes, but the truth is we were constantly being taught about Him no matter what the subject was. Today when we stopped to chat with some of the faculty they still had encouraging words about Jesus to share. How many people can say when they visit their old high school, their teachers are still genuinely interested in your life and praying for your friends...that's an amazing and unique experience. I feel so blessed that is my schooling experience.

2 comments:

  1. It was very surreal indeed. I hope our daughters can learn to love and trust Jesus together just like we all did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this gave me holy spirit goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete