Monday, January 24, 2011

No Solicitors

I wonder how many times people came to my door before I was home during the day? Since becoming a stay at home wife(soon to be mom) I have noticed that it is not uncommon for people to come to my door with questions, things to sell, offers to do yard work, ect... I would like to point out that we do have a no solicitors sign. Apparently it needs to be a neon sign. Door to door sales are odd to me in a society as secluded as ours. I mean even prostitutes have started using the internet to sell their "goods." Girl scouts/boy scouts set up booths at grocery stores (and take credit cards...) So why may I ask is anyone still trying door to door? Especially products that spoil easily like meat! Today I was greeted by a man who's first words were,
"Are your mom or dad home?"
First, this is the second time someone has come to my door, and asked for an adult. I'm wearing makeup, my hair is done, I'm dressed nicely. Do I need a sign that says, "I'm an adult! I own this house." Sir, we are definitely not getting off on the right foot here. I know I look young, but not that young. I guess he didn't notice my giant pregnant belly or wedding ring, I was hiding a little behind my glass door. But, having just recently turned 25 I thought that the days of being mistaken for a teenager were over. I mean really, I rarely even get carded anymore. Regardless, I responded kindly despite my annoyance,
"I'm the lady of the house, how may I help you?"
to which he replied "Do you cook?"
By now I had noticed the meat logo on his sweatshirt, I could not however see a vehicle or any kind of kind of notepad/clipboard for taking my order. I was taken a back by this door to door meat salesman, but my sister in law had a similar experience a week ago so I responded quickly in hopes he would leave.
"Yes, I cook, but I'm not interested in buying anything, have a nice day."
But before I could escape he started to tell me about the other job he had, something to do with checks. Not increasing my confidence in your shady door to door meat business, sir.
He then said, "Just tell me do you cook? I have some really great prices."
I was starting to get frustrated at this point.
"Yes, I'm a trained chef, but I am not interested in buying anything, have a nice day." I then closed the door. And watched as he started off to my neighbors. I think I may be adopting a new policy of if your shirt does not say ups then I'm not answering the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment