Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Bun in the oven is done

Baby Bun decided to make her debut on her original due date March 16th. I've heard that only around 3% of little ones are this prompt. I have to admit that her great sense of timing is not inherited from me, I'm lucky if I get anywhere sooner that 5 past my expected time.
From 36 wks. on I was on pins and needles, I tried not to get overly anxious, but I must confess that my heart skipped a beat with every braxton hick. As we neared our due date I would have episodes where I'd have contractions, but they always stopped. Wyatt had me plan a lot of social events the week of Bun's due date to distract me. We started taking bets on when she would come and how much she would weigh. I was saddened when time kept going by.
Monday we went to the Dr. and I was sad to hear that I was still dilated to a 1 and 80% effaced. Same as the week before. My Dr. asked if I wanted her to "strip my membranes" which sometimes will get your contractions really going. We decided to pass. We weren't over due yet, just impatient. Besides Wyatt had to work the rest of the day and my Dr. was going to be off the next day. I didn't want to risk going into labor without either one of them.
The next day, Tuesday, I went to my sister in laws house along with some friends and we crafted all day. I was having some contractions, but they still weren't consistent. Wyatt went to a board meeting so I went for a long walk at Shawnee Mission Park with my dad. In the past long walks usually got braxton hicks going, so I thought it was worth a try. Right before we did the "big hill" (it's a really huge hill) I had a contraction so strong that I had to stop and breath through it, now I was getting excited. We finished the walk and ate spicy Italian sausage & veggies. A wonderful "last" meal. The contractions were getting regular as I headed home. Bun and I had our last "in utero" dance party, (she loves Ke$ha's blah blah blah). I prayed and told her that I was excited to meet her and that she should come out and we'd have real dance parties.
When I got home I told Wyatt I was having contractions and we began to time them. First 11 min. then 7, then back to 11 then 5. We started to watch stand up. At one point I was having a really big contraction and Wyatt was trying not to laugh at the joke, and the look on his face made me burst out laughing. Laughing through a contraction is almost as helpful as relaxing through one. Things started to progress and the comedians were starting to get stronger so we switched to the Office. Nothing like a little Steve Carell to help take your mind off things. Wyatt said I would fall asleep between contractions and snore :) Finally they started to get harder and I started to get scared. I asked Wyatt to call my bff who was our assistant coach. He already had. (I have an amazing husband! 1/2 the time he knows what I need before I do)
La came and immediately I started to feel calmer. She assured me that everything was ok and we had plenty of time. She asked me if I wanted to eat and I said I was ok, I'd had dinner only a couple of hours ago, or so I thought. Wrong it was 2 am! I thought it was 10. I was amazed at how time was flying by! So to quench my hunger I ate a banana. At this point my contractions started to spread out again so La and Wyatt made me get up and walk around. Earlier in the day I had read that while in labor you should march or step like you are going up stairs. I started to march up and down the hall and Wy asked if I had a stroke, I replied not this is helping. It's amazing in labor looking silly is the least of your concerns. My contractions progressed to 2min apart. 3ish am-Time to go to the hospital!!!!
Once at the hospital the nurse suggested I change into a gown. Have you seen the birthing hospital gowns? Not only are they scratching and ill fitting the birthing ones have two huge slits in the front for your boobs to hang out of, they're awful. As if you don't already feel like a cow, they hand you an outfit that reassures the fact. I promptly changed back into my comfy maternity jeans and an adorable robe with hand made flowers on it. The nurse laughed at me and said that she had never seen a woman labor in jeans. I must admit that each stage of my birth/recovery/going home had a carefully planned outfit. This was the only one that was actually executed.
7am Shift change, I was sad to loose my first nurse but relieved that my Dr. was now available. We met our new nurse and my Dr. came to check on me. Sad news, you're not in active labor. I couldn't believe it, if this wasn't active labor then what was? My mom had fast labors and I was really hoping for one of those :) My Dr. suggested I go home, because I would be more comfortable and I could eat something. But my contractions were 2min apart, how would I know when to return?? She said, "your contractions will change." So we went home. There was a very worried looking nurse in the lobby watching me wait for the car, clearly having painful contractions. I was afraid she was going to make me come back in. We labored at home for awhile and I ate 1/2 a pb&j and drank some water, ice chips do not quench your thirst.
No worries I could definitely tell when the contractions changed! La had to get a little firm with me because I kept laying down, they put me in the car and drove me the 2 min back to the hospital, this time I let them put me in a wheel chair. I felt sorry the the pregnant woman doing her pre-birth tour, I wanted to say don't worry I know this looks scary but everything's ok. They tried to assign me a new nurse, but Steph fought to be with us again, through my contractions I heard her say, "No, I had them earlier, I want them back." I was so relieved to have a nurse who wanted to be with us through our natural labor. I was really afraid that we wouldn't be supported in a hospital, but it was quite the opposite. She stayed in our room the whole time, she even rubbed my back when Wy and La needed a break. During 4 hrs. of transition when I cried out for an epidural she reminded me of my birth plan and encouraged me that we were at an 8 and almost there. My response was to curse the birth plan, but I was thankful that she didn't let me cave when the contraction was over. During this portion of labor the song "let your mercy's fall from heaven like a sweet sweet rain" soothed me. I could feel God's washing presence over me.
Wyatt sweetly rubbed my back and sprayed me with warm water in the shower and La held my hand and fed me ice chips, both were so encouraging and peaceful. Our family all gathered in the waiting room and prayed. Finally at 5 they said we think you're going to like the way the room looks. When I came back from the shower everything was set up for me to start pushing. In my mind I new this time had to come, but I had almost given up home of it ever happening.
Praise the Lord, my water didn't break! Our birthing instructor prayed that it wouldn't an it didn't! My Dr. broke it 5 min. into pushing. Pushing was nothing like I had expected, it hurt a lot. During pushing the song "You are God of this city" came on. The words "greater things are get to come" gave me the strength to carry on. Stopping in between contractions was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. At one point I screamed, "get it out." My sweet Dr. looked at me and serenely said, "this is when an impatient Dr. would intervene, but we aren't going to do that. You can do this." I am so thankful for her. She is an amazing.
If you've read about "the ring of fire" the moment right before the babies head crowns, it's all true. I actually cried out, " the ring of fire" which made my bff laugh. After an hour baby Bun made her entrance into the world. It was such a surreal moment. I know that she came out of me, but it still didn't seem real. Here was the beautiful baby that I had waited and prayed for my entire life. I looked at my husband and I have never loved him more. I have loved him for almost my entire life, first as a friend, then a boyfriend, then husband, but now as the father of my children. Words cannot describe that moment.
I am so thankful that we gave birth naturally. Baby Bun and I both recovered quickly and Bun is stronger and healthier than your average baby. The staff at the hospital were amazed! Our pediatrician used the words, "ideal" when describing her stats. This was the most painful, spiritual, & rewarding event of my life.

1 comment:

  1. You don't know me, but I'm a friend of Laurisa's and I clicked on a link to your blog from her blog. I just wanted to tell you that I loved reading your birth story and I'm so proud of you for doing a natural labor! (is it weird that a stranger is proud of you? well I am!) I had my baby girl naturally and there is nothing like it! I laughed out loud at you yelling "the ring of fire" and teared up as I read the rest, just thinking about my daughter's birthday. I hope you and Baby Clara are doing great a month into life! :) Kelsey

    ReplyDelete